Need advice

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 24 09:49:40 CDT 2011

On 4/24/2011 4:57 AM, Brax Sisco wrote:
> and I've changed the oil every 3000 with Mobil-1

You're just wasting money and generating 2X or 3X as much toxic waste.
Do not fall for the Jiffy Lube myth.  Synthetic oil lasts A LOT longer
than 3000 miles.  Send a sample out to Blackstone Labs for analysis.
You can go 7 - 10K on Mob1.

>     I've never had to deal with something like this before, so I ask for
> advice, what would any of you do in this situation?

Have you gotten an estimate on fixing it?  It might be worth it, if you
really like the car and have that much invested in it.  I crunched my
SE-R and balked at the $2 - $4k to fix it;  but greatly regret not doing
it.  And it's not like I can just go buy another (would buy a brand new
NX in a heart beat if I could.)  A couple thou' in body work may seem
like a lot, but it's no worse than a few months' payments on a car loan
for something else.

You can try haggling with the ins co too.  They normally give you a
really low ball number and hope you'll shut up and take it.  Many people
report than even a little pressure gets more money out of them.  To
them, the car is worth scrap value, which is about $11 - $12 / pound
here last I heard  (eg: $300 total.)

-Wayne