Old times

George Roffe geo31 at suddenlink.net
Thu Apr 7 08:42:56 CDT 2011

---- "Kieran A. Lavin" <kieran at kieranlavin.com> wrote:

>I don't think George was ever the list guru :P

Yeah, I don't really think so either. I was on-line a lot and liked helping people out, including how to help themselves, much to their chagrin. Most of the SE-R specific stuff I learned from people here, many of whom are still here and still my list "heroes." Merlin was gone by the time I joined. Mike was in and out for a while before coming back regularly. Countless others paved the way. Zak, Jim Wright, Rick Zotz, Wayne Cox, Mike Garner (sp?), and many others I'm missing either brought new knowledge, or collected it and put it on web sites before SE-R.net. I hope I am not insulting anyone by leaving them off.
I was a sponge when I got on-line and my car was at a point it needed things and the list and web sites of people on the list taught me a LOT in a short time. I was grateful and as I said, I liked passing it on. The really technical stuff I mostly learned from Mike, especially when I was building my engine. I started my project as little more than a mild rebuild. I asked Mike some questions and found out what he was up to (I knew most of the stuff he was doing before it was on the list or in SCC as a result) and that sent me deep into territory I dreamed of going. Mike and JWT did 99.9% of the research that went into my engine. My big contribution was putting Mike on to Swain Tech (still the best coating company out there) who I was planning on using. Mike had wanted to do coatings but found most coaters near him to be lame.
This is still the best group of on-line people, friends really, most of whom I've met FTF, I've come across. And once again, I'm replying to the list when I should be working. Back to my deadline....
Geo