Automatics (was: 20 Years)

Jon Pennington cowboydren at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 02:51:02 CDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:15 AM, George Roffe <geo31 at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> Wayne Cox wrote:
>
>>Autos are kinda nice in traffic jams, and if you're a big city commuter
> I would not think too poorly of you for having one.
>
> See, I don't get this argument. I hear it all the time of course. It's a
> trade off IMHO. You're either pressing the clutch or the brake (slushbox) in
> traffic. Take yer pic.

In lands less flat than Texas, there are occasions when you have to
use all three pedals at the same time. And holding a brake takes less
pressure than holding a clutch, not that I'm defending automatics in
general. For the ten times per year that -I'm- stuck in traffic, I'll
happily trade a left foot cramp for the other 300-500 hours per year
of full control. I usually hate it when a hydraulic or electronic
circuit steps in and makes decisions that the driver is supposed to be
making. If I want to take off from a dead stop, up hill, in third
gear, dammit, I have my reasons!

--

Why, yes, I *can* cross-thread a ketchup bottle.