20 Years

George Roffe geo31 at suddenlink.net
Wed Mar 30 10:35:24 CDT 2011

Darren Calbero wrote:

> It's funny looking back at when my car was new and I would look at those older guys in their 70s 510s, and Corollas, and wonder what they saw in that old car?
Oh my.... I KNEW why they had them. I used to read of original owners of 510s and 240Zs that still lovingly owned them and always wanted to have a truly special car like that that I would own the rest of my life. Shortly after buying the SE-R I knew I had the car (or thought I knew - more in a minute).
Jim Wright <wrightj at apple.com> wrote:

>It broke my heart when I sold the '91 back in '09. When Grover picked it up to drive it to Dallas, I stood in the street just listening to the sound fading away, long after he turned out of view at the end of the street. With that exhaust I still heard him for several blocks after that, fading off into the distance, knowing it was destined for wide open fields, and roads without speed limit signs.

At least yours lives on. AND you still get to drive it. While I still techically own mine I guess, it's now properly rusting in a field not far from Dallas, waiting to be stripped of the useable spare parts. It's not even good enough to become a LeMons car in its old age.
Sadly, my SE-R, the car I wanted to own the rest of my life suffers from the 4 winters it spent in the northeast. The rust is terminal. Oh sure, I could fix it, but that would require a rotissarie. Just not smart money to restore it. When working on my 944 one day I saw something fall from the SE-R out of the corner of my eye. Turns out it was a big chunk of rusted metal. It was literally rusting apart in front of my eyes. VERY sad moment. It's when I realized it would not be worth keeping. Had I lived in Texas when I bought it and it spent its whole life here, it would live on as long as I do.
>I still visit the car regularly when it races at the track, and still smile every time it roars past the stands.

Heck, you even get to race it, which is a whole lot better than me with my car.
Geo