20 Years

Robert Legere rlegere at snet.net
Wed Mar 30 09:32:04 CDT 2011

Very nice....

From: Darren Calbero <DarrenC at AMPartners.com>
Subject: 20 Years
To: se-r at se-r-list.org
Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 10:03 PM

20 years ago I drove off the lot of a Nissan dealer with my brand new Aztec Red SE-R.  So it didn't have the leather steering wheel or shifter boot, floor mats, a radio, or even a/c . . . hey I had a sun roof and I drive in Hawaii so no problem.  I was happy as can be in my new little rocket that could perform better than just about any car out there under $20k, and I got it at a reasonable $12.5k.  "Enjoy the ride" I did with my new girlfriend, a nice college life, and a decent job at a proffesional office.

Fast forward to today.  I'm married to that same girl from 20 years ago, we have a 4 and 6 year-old riding in Recaro car seats and boosters, and I'm still content with my little Red SE-R.  Granted a lot of bolt-ons helps to keep the car up to speed with some of the newer vehicles on the road, but it sure still feels like this 238,000 mile car can take on most challengers down the 1320.

I do all my maintenance on the car with parts sent from Greg Vogel over an G-Spec.  It's run 99% of it's life either with AMSOil or Mobil1 fully synthetic.  And one of the most important things, I always put good sticky and hydroplane resistant tires on, not primarily for spirited driving, but rather safety.  I currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s and it's all good.

Don't get me wrong, the car has a lot of signs of old age:  hidden rust in the trunk water channel and front fenders; sunroof that currently can't slide back; squeaking driver door hinge; cheap but still shiny coat of red paint; trunk spoiler that is only fully secured at 1 of 3 spots; and a leak presumably at the gas tank vent hose.  The engine still feels as perky as ever though the suspension needs some work.  I can't complain.  It's reliable as can be and has decent gas milage, and in Hawai where fuel has been more the $4/gallon for a few weeks, that's important.

It's funny looking back at when my car was new and I would look at those older guys in their 70s 510s, and Corollas, and wonder what they saw in that old car?  Why do they still own something so old with old tech?  Yeah they were modded and fast, but really?  A 20-year-old import?  I guess it took me 20 years to figure it out.  I may be one of the few original owners left compared to the grand ol days of SERCA, but I do know that those that still own their B13s today are just as die-hard as myself.  I know if I sell the car, I would miss it dearly.  I've seen it happen to too many people.  So I'll keep driving my Sentra until I'm old and grey . . . oh hell, grey already kicked in and old is a relative term for me now, and sure I could stretch the limits of my finances, lose my wife in the process, and get me a GT-R that has brake changes that cost more than my car is worth a few times over, but in the end, my SE-R that my son and I enjoy daily
 is all I need in my "Dream Garage."

DC
1991 Red SE-R

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----