Quickie TB Cleaning

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 8 09:08:34 CST 2011

On 3/8/2011 5:09 AM, Jon Pennington wrote:
> '94 G20t is having trouble; been parked for almost three months. :(
>
> I replaced the radiator-side motor mount, and since starting it up to
> roll it off the ramps, it just won't idle. I can hold the throttle
> open and maintain 2000 or more RPM, but if I let go, it stumbles to

I've let SR20s sit for extended periods, and just about always had
trouble getting them to start / idle.  Holding the throttle wide open
often gets them firing -- which makes me think they're prone to
"flooding" but I can't think of any place in there for fuel to puddle.
And then they seem to require some driving time to "clear out" what ever
was bothering them.  Have you driven yours, or just had it idling
briefly?  I can't make sense of it -- I've torn SR20 heads and engines
apart and they're usually clean and should not be that finicky, BUT...
just empirical experience.

The EGR shouldn't cause stalling.  Most of them run better with it
blocked off.  A TPS or MAF problem will definitely make them stumble or
stall.  Do you have an interface box and consult software to plug in?
(c'mon -- doesn't everyone?  these things are 20 years old now!)  That
will find bad sensors in a hurry, and let you set idle and timing
correctly.  I'll send you a copy off-list of Nissan's diagnostic flowchart.

-Wayne