New Shoes

JaretR1 at aol.com JaretR1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 25 19:15:09 CDT 2010

As many of you, or the few of you left may know, my beloved 91 SE-R rests
comfortable most days under a car cover on the side of my house.  Once a
month I start her up and take her for a drive to keep her alive.  Well, the
tires I had on the car (Yokohama AVS Intermediates, which were awesome tires
10  years ago) had gotten so dry rotted, the tread was starting to separate,
and I  no longer felt safe driving on them.  So, I was stuck having to buy
new  tires, or just not drive the SE-R at all.

So, I started shopping for tires, and there are not many great choices left
 for good affordable tires in the 185/60 14's anymore.   I could pop  for
some nice Dunlops or a new Yokohama models for about $90 a tire, or I could
go cheap with some Falkens or Fuzions for about $50 a tire OR, I could pop
for  the Falken Azeni RT615s!  At only a $79 (my cost), I figure, I stick
some  sticky tires on my car and I can have some fun with it again.  And if I
want to go autocrossing, I can just hop in and drive to the event (although
my  helmet no longer meets the current Snell requirements :( )   For those
of you who dont know, the Azeni's have a treadwear rating of 200, but they
are  really racing tires designed for people who run in SCCA's ST classes
where the  super sticky tires are not legal.  These are 195/60 14's and
actually look  a little better on the car.  And yes, they stick, really well.  It
forgot how much body lean the SE-R has compared to my RSX or 350Z which has
none.  But its still such a fun car to drive.

So that's it, my SE-R is alive and kicking, and seems to be happy with her
new shoes.  There might even be an autocross in her future once again, G
stock here she comes!

Jaret