some alternator R&R details I'm forgetting

Omer Khan ohmfab at comcast.net
Mon Jul 19 00:18:29 CDT 2010

I have done it a couple of times the following way without jacking the car up or removing the radiator hose.

I used the factory scissor jack under the ac compressor bracket to support and raise the motor.  Take the pass side engine mount bolt out and then use the jack to raise the engine.  I raise it enough so that the hole in the mount shows above the bracket on the chassis.

The alternator can then easily come out from up top.  You do have to take the alternator adjustment bracket off.

The alternator in my classic went out 4 times in a year. Kept replacing autozone ones. Then  I got one from a first gen altima and it was a direct replacement.  I think the amp output is higher (100 instead of 80 I think) and i've had good luck with it so far.

Omer
'92 Classic SE-R