Update on my 91... I *tried* to go racing in Sept :(

bodyart27 at aol.com bodyart27 at aol.com
Wed Dec 30 22:00:06 CST 2009

In late September I tagged along with the Mercedes and Audi club and took the 91 out to Motorsport Ranch (remember that Dallas convention when the storm from hell rolled in - that's the track).

Though I dropped and resealed the oil pan (it was leaking), new Mobil 1 / oil filter and the normal radiator and brake fluid flush (Carbotech (sp?) pads and tires still holding up fine since my last track outing two years ago), my SE-R had a bad case of stuck injector (at least that's my best gues). The cap / rotor / plugs were new only about a 1,000 miles ago (ok, like 3 years ago), so I don't believe it was a misfire.

I suspect an injector being clogged due to only traveling about 300 miles in the last two years since the car's last track event. When I went WOT and backed off the throttle the car sounded like it was flatulant and running on 3 cylinders. I'd get back fires on full throttle shifts. It would eventually clear up by itself just driving around, but if I really hammered it to redline the car's exhaust note would go sour on throttle lift and I'd be way down on power.

The day at the track was pretty sad. I've never been so outgunned! AMGs and Audi S-lines everywhere! Add rain to the mix and being I think only one of two cars on the track without traction control, I elected to bring up the rear as any off-camber turn had me drifting sideways becoming a big target for any car behind me.

The conditions got so bad I aborted a 20 min session after one lap. Driving on a rained out track on cold tires is down right scary - no grip! I had one decent session when a dry line started to appear and my tires warmed up, but I was still down on power.

A couple of months later after a couple of tank fulls of new gas and a rich mixture of injector cleaner she's running much better. It just shows that the poor little SE-R needs to be driven!

~shell, dallas tx