LeMons Tires (was Tire Size which was NX Highway Cruisin')

Grover Pickering groverpickering at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 07:35:53 CDT 2009

Ok, we've been talking Tires for the LeMons car.  This topic peaked my
interest.

I've heard the track in Texas (MSR Houston) is pretty easy on tires and you
should be able to go the distance on one set.  We'll have a backup set and
possibly some rains.

LeMons racing is probably 8/10's or so most of the time.  The idea is to be
competitive - but there at the finish.  So, we won't be at the limit for 12
hours straight.

Here are tires that seem popular among the LeMons crowd.
 Fuzion ZRi
Falken Azenis-RT615s
General Exclaim UHP
Hankook RS2
Hankook Z212s

We have also noticed the Yokohoma S.Drive, Dunlop Direzza, and BFG G-force
Sport.

I would like a tire that will last with solid grip for a very long time.  Be
able to be abused for a time and come back.  Have a pretty stiff sidewall
and be predictable.  Provide feedback to the driver and allow some
mistakes.  Warm up nicely and grip really well when the time comes toward
the end.  Have at least ok grip in the rain (not monsoon) so a wet track
doesn't require a tire change.  Oh - and cheap :).

Based on Tire Rack feedback.  The RS2's seem like the best choice.  But, I
wanted to see what experience ya'll had with HPDE or track days with any of
these tires.  I realize that I won't get the prefect tire for $75 - but
LeMons really doesn't require perfection as much as reliability.

Thoughts?

Grover