racing helmet

Frey, Richard K rfrey at iupui.edu
Mon Aug 24 12:28:18 CDT 2009

I guess it's a moot point if your sanctioning body requires snell certification.  As stated, IMO, 2005 snell standards are too rigid.   There doesn't seem to be definitive data that the Drs can look at to see where things really stand and I certainly don't pretend to have info they don't have.  I certainly have never held myself out as a safety equipment expert.   I am guessing the article George mentions can be found at:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

I think it's a 2005 article and therefore dated, but it's a good read and is the basis for my mentioned opinion.  I ride a bike, not race a car, so I understand that there might be different goals here as a 300 g helmet strike while on a bike is probably going to be pretty rough on other important internal organs.  In a car, you have the luxury of being strapped in and that should help out your torso but might also require hits to the exact same spot of a roll cage, etc.   Hopefully you've covered those with the proper type of foam.

I will say that snell has apparently reduced its g standards from 300 gs to 275 gs in the 2010 standards but what's  +/- 25 gs to your brain.  My main point was that Styrofoam in helmets can be too dense and snell seems to be on board with that thought.  Form your own opinions and choose the 2005 or the 2010 standards and by all means ignore mine.

rick