New Starter Not Turning

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 29 21:46:42 CDT 2009

Boy, it is Electrical Week on the SE-R list.

It doesn't sound to me like your problem is the starter. The lights
shutting off when you turn the key to 'start' is normal, but the clock
resetting indicates that voltage out of the battery  dropped too low.
Like Rob said, it shouldn't drop to four-something when you turn it to
'start.' I'll think about it a bit. Sounds like you might have a bad
connection somewhere in the starting circuit that is giving it a really
high resistance.

On my own car, I got another jump from my GF tonight so that I could do
some diagnostic work. At idle, I get a normal 13.8 or so at the
alternator B+, but only 12.7 or so from the battery, and battery voltage
(across the terminals, not the clamps) was dropping visibly over time.
It was down below 12.0 after about 5-8 minutes. Weird. Shut the car off
and measured voltage again and it started dropping very rapidly as soon
as I shut the car off. I dunno why that happens, but it seemed to point
further to a bad battery. Sulfated plates, I suppose. So I bit the
bullet and got another one.

David