Electrical Glitch

Jim Wright wrightj at apple.com
Tue Jul 28 23:40:16 CDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 8:26 PM, Larry Martin wrote:

> Was driving home tonight and, for the first time in a good while,
> flipped the handle to turn on the high beams.  No lights....WTF?
> Pulling it back won't flash them (and turns off the lows), pushing
> forward won't activate them (and turns off the lows).  Sounds simple
> like a fuse or relay but couldn't look in the pouring rain and
> darkness.

Checked the manual for the '91, wiring page shows a connection
straight from the switch to the headlamps, no relay.  Other models
might have a relay under the hood?  There seem to be two 15A fuses for
the headlamps, my guess is that one of these has gone out.  If the
fuses check out, then your switch is likely the problem.

> I suppose it could be the switch or even a loose wire but there's
> never been any indication of impending failure.

That would take all the fun out of it...  ;)

Jim