charging system issues: the return of

Omer F. Khan ohmfab at comcast.net
Tue Jul 28 16:19:38 CDT 2009

davidpertuz at mindspring.com wrote:
 >Shit. I seem to have charging-system issues again, with very bad
timing due in part to my procrastination.
 >So I'm soliciting some possibly enlightened commentary. Car is a P10t.

David,

I've had a lot of charging issues in the past with my '92. I went
through about 4 Autozone alternators in the last two years.   I tried
everything.  I changed the battery, I cleaned all the connections and
made sure nothing was corroded, I even ran a 12 guage wire from the
alternator output directly to the battery.  Nothing worked and every 6
months or so the alternator would die.

I finally resolved my charging issues by putting in an alternator from
an Altima that I got it from a junkyard.  I think it was a '95 but I am
pretty sure you can use one from any year of the first generation
altimas with the KA24 engine.  The body of the alternator is the same
except the output is higher.  I think100amps instead of 80.  Even the
plugs are exactly the same.  The only modification required is to use
the pulley from my stock alternator as the altima pulley is inset about
5mm too far and is a bit smaller in diameter.

Omer
'92 White SE-R
www.ohmfab.com