B13 spring stock sizes

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Sat May 23 09:18:55 CDT 2009

Charlie Guthrie wrote:
> We are trying to re-engineer the B13 suspension for Rally-Cross. At
> .... We need:
> 1.  The number of active coils (total number of turns that excludes the
> flattened coil at the top) (fractions of a turn count, too)(Heck, if you
> just count the total number of turns we'll make the necessary assumptions).
> 2.  The uncompressed spring height.
> 3.  The spring wire diameter (preferably measured with a caliper)
> 4.  The outside diameter of the spring.

Do you have an FSM, cause it's all in there in the specs section.  Oh
shhot, I'll just grab mine.  Note, there are lots of subtly different
springs for SR/GA, Sentra/NX, 5spd/AT, 2/4dr, etc.  For a 1992 5spd SE-R:

		Front			Rear
Wire dia	0.484"			0.457
Coil dia	5.12"			5.12
Height		14.17"			12.54
Spring const.	123			112	(in/lbs)
ID color	"orangex2,light bluex1"		"light bluex2,whitex1"

> Since someone will undoubtedly want to know: the HyperCoils are 5.65"
> outside diameter, 0.520 wire diameter, and have 6 coils total with 4
> active coils using two different helix angles. The lower two coils  give
> a reasonable ride over slight pavement imperfections. After that the
> lower coils go solid and the two upper coils come into play and they are
> stiff...wheeeee. That makes for a great drive to the track set-up, but
> on dirt we need lots of weight transfer and gradual loading.

Sounds like you already have it, but I have a detailed doc on the
Hypercos I'll send ya separately.

-Wayne Cox