'91 SE-R A/C issues

Mclendon, Clay CIV NAVAIR ISSC Jax, 4.3.3.1 clay.mclendon at navy.mil
Mon May 11 07:11:49 CDT 2009

Count me in as another successful R134A conversion (3 actually). Mine does leak (just like it did with the R12 mind you), but it's a slow leak and I simply recharge it with R134A about once a year (just before summer) and it works great. Total cost of about $12/year. I've had 3 cars converted to R134A without replacing anything other than the  refrigerant and they have all worked great. The current Miata is the only one to leak (but again, the leak was there before I converted). The first two cars were done by a friend who pulled a vacuum for about an hour before installing the R134A. They worked great for years. I planned on buying a vacuum pump for this last time, but figured I'd try it first without pulling a vacuum (since R134A is so cheap) and it worked so well I've never messed with getting a vacuum pump. I just purged the remaining R12 and put in R134A. Works great. The conversion kit is so cheap ($30 or so), just give it a try. You can always have it evacuated out later if you don't like it.
BTW, the high is 94 here today so AC is a must.

Clay