'91 SE-R A/C issues

Darren Calbero DarrenC at ampartners.com
Thu May 7 17:23:50 CDT 2009

Ray wrote:
> original o rings.  Works just fine. :)

You are the first person I've heard that has said they have used the
original o-rings for the conversion and to boot, no leak?  Can anyone
else confirm that they too have done this feat?  Not that I don't
believe Ray, but it might not be out of the realm of possibilities that
Ray had an unusual success.

For those that did do the conversion and replaced the o-rings, how many
and where are they?

I checked the system for pressure and nada.  Fuse was the first thing I
actually checked before my initial post.  Obviously the system needs a
recharge of sorts.

When I replace the hose (which may be pulled from my "stored" SE-R), I
will be exposing the system to the atmosphere.  Will this require me to
evacuate the system prior to a recharge?  Will I need to evacuate the
system anyway if I am converting to the newer refrigerant?

I did notice what looked like oil on the hard-line portion of the
low-pressure hose near the compressor.  Is this oil actually a separate
"ingredient" to the A/C system or is it the refrigerant I see that acts
as a lubricant?

TIA for all the answers.  Like most people in the country today, I am
trying to reduce the costs of everything including car repairs (most of
which I do on my own anyway) so I would like to minimize the amount of
work I need others to do.  Can I actually recharge the system myself
with store bought stuff?

Luckily it's not too hot yet so my little 23-month-old daughter isn't
cooking in the car yet.