Rod bearing inspection/verification

Erik Halvorson hammer_down at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:46:15 CDT 2009

If you pull the caps, spend the $ (not much in the big scheme) and install new Nissan bearings.  The crank journals are incredibly hard and even if you have "lightly" spun a bearing (dented oil pan!!!) the crank journal surface is most likely in good shape.  Last time I tried to buy plastigage in the range that cooresponded to the Nissan factory clearances, I had no luck, but that was at least 7 years back, so things may have changed.  On my Dad's SE-R (engien still in car) I pulled all for rod caps, pushed the piston up the bore and then measured the crank journal with a dial caliper.  They were ALL within spec of the FSM.  I visually inspected all four journals and compared them with the corresponding bearings that I just reomoved.  Even the journal with the spun bearing looked prefect (thought he bearing had surface scuffs along witht eh tangs being all flattened out....  I coated the new bearings with assembly lube, torqued to spec, pounded the pan back into shape, reassembled...  The car has 50k additional and still running strong.  If this was a hot turbo engine or a race engine, I would pull the crank and do a more thorough inspection, maybe have the crank repolished and then checked for size.

Erik Halvorson