Numerically LOWER Final Drive?

Greg Amy grega at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 08:35:13 CDT 2008

> The P10 G20 has a final drive of 4.058:1 and a 0.733 5th

Thanks. good info.

> That's something I ALWAYS wanted in the B13...Keep 1 to 4 right
> where they are...then have 5th just drop way the hell off...

'Zactly. That's what we used to do on the Rabbit GTis. The GTi had a nice, tightly-spaced 5-speed, but it was buzzy on the highway. So we installed the Rabbit Diesel 5th gear and it worked out really well. It took a bit to get used to the 4->5 drop, but the GTi would easily do 80+ in 4th, and you really appreciated the lesser din. Hell, on the Rabbit you could even change the gear with the trans still in the car!

> If you don't track the car or it's turbo a lower
> gear would be better.

I don't even think you need a turbo. Next time out in your VE, let the revs in 5th go down to 2500-3000 then punch it: plenty of bump for speed changes while cruising on the highway. And, if you need more, downshift!

As for worrying about it being a track car, then if that's an issue you should go all-in and be running the 4.437:1 final drive. Need one?

> You would need probably the ring gear, main shaft, input
> and main 5th gears.

Correct, assuming final drive change and 5th gear change.

> Come to think of it 5th is the only gear on the input shaft
> that is swappable.

Yup! That's why I'd rather just do 5th, if I can find a good ratio. The G20 5th you note above isn't really worth the effort all by itself; it'll only drop the revs 100 RPM at 70 mph. Unfortunately, running both the final drive and the 5th from the G20 only drops it 200 revs...what would be nice to find is a 5th in the .67-.68 range...

Greg