Alternative altermator

Mark Holden mark at mnautosport.com
Tue Apr 8 00:01:22 CDT 2008

The 99-01 Altima alternator is a 100A unit.  As a cheap easy upgrade, it's a
nice choice.  It's good to hear that it swaps straight in and it's probably
a better fit for most people.

In my case, my car is a rally car, and when the lightbar is mounted and on,
it will be drawing over 60A in lighting alone, so I didn't even look at the
Altima units.

I swapped the pulley not because I had to to make it fit, but because the
smaller Maxima/Altima pulley (both use a 63mm pulley), compared to the 70mm
pulley on the Sentra would have meant that the alternator would be
overdriven.  Besides taking a bit more power from the engine, I was
concerned that long-duration high rpm situations (like my car will see)
would burn out the alternator.

-Mark Holden