SR20 20th ?!?

Frey, Richard K rfrey at iupui.edu
Thu Feb 14 16:11:18 CST 2008

My wife drives a mazda3 5 door.  Had it for almost 4 years.  Early production is supposed to have all of the problems.  We've had a few warranty issues but otherwise totally enjoy this car.  Its geared a little low for my liking as highway trips rev too high for me.  The upside is it really 'zips' around town as my wife says.  My 3 year old just said zoom zoom all of the time after seeing the commercials.  Excellent handling, good acceleration, nice torque curve and superb brakes.  Everyone who knows cars and sees it boggles at the size of the rear discs.  Haven't taken it to the track but it would perform well I think.  If you factored in inflation, it probably is about the same price as the SE-R was.  It doesn't get the greatest gas mileage though, but that might be due to my wife's foot.  I have replaced brake pads 'prematurely' and wore out a set of tires far too early but they gripped well.

It is not a rattletrap, this one anyway.  It does lack damping coatings, but didn't we chip those out of the SE-R anyway?

The turbo, direct injected version would be fun.

And don't forget the Pontiac Solstice GXP.  If you lived in the south or not a daily drive that'd be fun but not really the same as an SE-R.

Have fun,

Rick Frey