NX2000 Exhaust - Final Update (?)

Greg Amy grega at pobox.com
Thu Feb 14 09:30:33 CST 2008

I can't believe how painful this process has been...<shrug>

Final answer? Well, I'm taking all input to heart, including recommendations
to go Borla. I called VRS a couple of times to see what they offer, and if
they'd work with me for alternate mufflers/resonators (they will). The
pricing was about as I expected, not really out of line. However, it was
more than I was ready to spend right now, thus my thoughts of
self-building...but then, someone on this list pointed out to me that
someone else had a 3" Classic aluminized VRS system - without resonator and
with oval Magnaflow muffler - for sale for a very reasonable price (slightly
less than the price of just their tubing kit). Reasonable enough that it's
worthwhile to buy that as a starting point.

No, it's not stainless as I preferred. Yes, I expect I'll have some fitment
problems into the NX, but not anything I can't overcome. And, I expect it to
be REAL loud, at least initially. But, it gives me the ability to get the
car back on the road reasonably quickly (VRS' turnaround was close to a
month, IIRC) and once installed it can be easily modified to install the
parts I really want.

Thanks again for all the excellent feedback, and maybe once I've got it the
way I want I'll reply here with my experience.

BTW, I vote for the RSX/Civic Si line as a true successor to the SE-R/NX
mindset (itself having been a successor to the Rabbit Gti, and the Mini
Cooper before that). Reasonably affordable, reasonable miminalist
performance, and loads of fun. Too bad more manufacturers don't try to do
that more often...

Greg