NX2000 Exhaust - Update

Greg Amy grega at pobox.com
Thu Feb 7 09:54:01 CST 2008

Again, I want to thank everyone for their replies;
they've been very helpful.

It appears that the VRS stainless exhaust system is
the one of choice. However, I have concerns about the
noise level. As a result, I've pretty much decided to
go with VRS' tubing kit and spec my own parts, and
probably pay less along the way.

For reference, VRS sells the 3" stainless exhaust
system with resonator for a web-listed price of $540
plus $45 shipping. This is a completely bolt-on
cat-back system. As best I can tell, they use
Magnaflow resonators and mufflers, and it appears to
be one of the larger round mufflers.

I've done some research on the Magnaflow line; it
seems I can buy the parts relatively inexpensively.
I've found an on-line Magnaflow retailer that sells
the #14419 4" dia by 20" long resonator for $65.21 and
the #12219 5"x8" oval by 14" long muffler for $70.13.
On top of that, I can get a 13" long 4"x5" 3-way
Magnaflow catalytic converter (#53009) for only
$65.51. all with free shipping. Total = $200.85.

VRS sells their tubing kit for $225 +$25 shipping (too
bad I can't find someone local that mandrel-bends 3"
stainless!) The VRS rep I spoke to said they do not
weld on the flanges, instead leaving a bit more length
to custom-fit. I meant to ask, but forgot, if that
price included the flanges or not, and if not, if
there would be a discount without them.

But, added to the Magnaflow parts above, that's a
total of $450.85 in parts, *including a new 3-way
cat*. I'm clueless as to how much it'll cost to
install, fit, and weld all this together, but I'm
expecting to get out of there for a good price
(fingers crossed).  I've also read on forums that the
quality of fit of a pre-built VRS varies with
different cars, so to get the best fit it's better to
build anyway...

So, I'm thinking that's the way to go. Any
counter-thoughts are appreciated. - GA