rod bearing sizing on high-mileage motors

Wayne wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 23 07:50:37 CST 2008

David Pertuz wrote:
> Since I am one of those people who can elevate procrastination to
> Olympic levels,

I awarded myself the gold medal quite some time ago  ;)  I'd bet you
wouldn't make bronze -- but that's good, really.

> I'll know what grade bearings it's got when I take the pans off, but
> what should I put in there? Same grade(s), or one size bigger (tighter
> clearance) on an engine with this mileage? For that matter, how can I

I think you could get a mic' on there with the crank girdle removed, but
  I can't say for sure.  The one time I did it in-car, I removed the
girdle, but some say it can be accomplished without it.

The bearings are designed to take all the abuse they're soft alloy, the
crank is hard.  I suspect there isn't that much crank wear.  Some of the
bearing may smear or gall onto the crank, but unless the motor was about
to grenade the crank should still clean up with ultra fine abrasive and
have nearly zero wear.

Going on that assumption, I replaced with the identical size.  I also
run the cars hard, and building in some extra bottom end oil clearance
is recommended by many engine builders for extra endurance.  I think
going a size tighter will end up too tight in most cases.

That's all just edumacated guessing on my part.  The bearing grades are
less than 0.0002" steps anyway.  And I still think a little loose is better.

    -Wayne  '06 RSX-S / 93 SE-R / 93 NK2k / 90 Miata