SR20 Forum - BLAH!

Kevin Hart bowlcut at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 10:28:59 CST 2007

You know I am all for change.  When Ben Davis handed everything over
to Matt I was fine.  It was going to another se-r guy.  There was a
time that I didnt like Matt cause of some of his changes, but it wasnt
like hatred or anything.  I just didnt like the direction he was
pointing at that time.  But he was still a guy of the community.

When Ben asked me to come over to the forum and help him I thought it
was great.  Like Dan noted, back in 99 this list was always "its in
the archives".  I remember one of the reasons we started the forum was
a place for newbies to ask the questions that got them grilled on the
list.  Then it grew from there.  The list still has a place in my
heart...it is still privately held by a guy of the community.  I
walked up to Larry at the convention this year, years since I saw him
last, shook his hand and immediately broke into conversation just like
we have been in touch forever.  Thats what this community is like.
When the 'top dogs' are part of your community thats what happens.

This new owner is a big company.  When was the last time you walked up
to a marketing director or president and shook his hand like you were
two were in the same community?  This guy that is the face for
AutoForums swears nothing is going to change.  But I have seen
otherwise in the past.  Its like borrowing large sum of money from
your parents, then sitting down a few months later to
dinner...something feels different.  Thats what happens.  The by the
community for the community feeling goes away.

I dont care about interface changes, i dont care about any of that.  I
care that the community aspect is going away.  The people are still
there sure.  But the top of the chain makes an affect thats for sure.
Look at any company that has a change in leadership.  Look at this
nation when leadership changes.  People dont change, but the
atmosphere does.

-Kevin
off soapbox