Upgrading the alternator

Mark Holden mark at mnautosport.com
Wed Nov 28 09:12:51 CST 2007

I am running a 6S belt, but not the original size.  Rather, we looked up
the size the 4S is supposed to be for the cars without A/C and found
the nearest size 6S the store had, which seems to be kind of short.
In fact it just barely fits, but unlike my last SE-R that I did this to, it's
not too tight either, it's just perfect.  Finding a slightly longer belt is on
my list of things to do over the winter, because I'd like some adjustability.
I want to keep the 6-rib, especially with the higher amperage alternator
going in there.

As a side note, I went to the local u-pull yesterday, and not only did
they actually have a '95 Max (I knew this before going, but it's still
rare around here), but the stock alternator was still there!  Nissan
alternators and injectors are like hen's teeth in the boneyards around
here.  So now in addition to picking up the wiring harness I will have
a spare alternator too.

AND, I found an old 86 (89?) 200SX hatch out there and grabbed the
wheels.  These things are *light*.  I'll have to weigh them when I get
the old tires off.  They're 14x5.5, but the offset is 45mm, so I'm a little
concerened about them fitting, but I'm planning on using them with
ultra-skinny (145) rally snow/ice tires anyhow, so as long as the rim itself
doesn't hit anything, I should be OK.