Pulsating steering

Darren Calbero DarrenC at ampartners.com
Mon Oct 29 14:41:31 CDT 2007

Thank you all for your replies.  Nice to see this list breathe a bit
once in a while.

I'll go with the half shaft replacement and perhaps with Geo's comment,
I'll consider finally putting at least the control arm ES bushings in
that I have sitting in my garage.  The toe problem may be part of the
bearing binding forcing the steering a bit and looking like a toe
problem if the spotter is just looking at one wheel and assuming the
other is not moving.

Bent rim would have been felt a while back and there have been no
incidents recently which could have done this (AFAIK).

As far as the tie rod end, I had tried to induce movement in the
passenger side wheel while it was up on stands and it (tie rod) would
not move at all.  Granted I cannot put anywhere close to 2.5k pounds of
force (not including the momentum) on the wheel but in the event that
the planned replacement doesn't do the trick, I'll know what I need to
do next.  I want to avoid that so I don't have to take the car back for
alignment (free lifetime at Firestone but still time that I have little
of).  I know Wayne suggested alignment after removing knuckle from strut
but I never had a problem with misalignment except when you replace the
tie rod end.  Of course if you are using camber bolts on your struts
(gone from my car a while ago) then an alignment check would be in
order.

I won't be able to work on this until the parts come in on Wednesday so
I have a few more days to contemplate other possibilities.

Thanks again everyone.
DC