Tire plugging

Kevin Hart bowlcut at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 11:19:52 CDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Wayne <wc701lists at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> George Roffe wrote:
> > Anybody here ever plug their own tire?
> > I've got a screw in a tire and while I could have a shop plug it easily
> > enough, I imagine it's not that hard to do and I've seen DIY kits at
> > parts stores.  So, I was wondering about this....
>
> Yeah, I've done it lots of times with those goo-covered cord plugs.
> Just get the kit with the rasp and insertion tool.  On really tiny
> punctures, you may need to enlarge the hole to patch it.  I picked up a
> little finishing size brad in a tire and had to take a drill to the hole
> before patching.
>
> This supposedly invalidates the tire's speed rating;  but I was doing
> this on all-season highway kinda tires that were only driven for normal
> street use.
>
>    -Wayne

Ive used them many times before.  But on like daily driver type of tires.
On my Azines  I went and got it patched from behind.  On truck tires or like
my Altima I have and will still use plugs.  They work decently.  If its like
some performance tire Id probably go get it patched, but on just regular
tires...plugs are fine

-Kevin
East TN Redneck and proud of it