Fixing a tweeked block/head

Wayne wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 29 08:09:30 CDT 2007

Kirby wrote:
>     Can a block/head be fixed after oil starvation?  I have been told
> that they can...
> but I'm not sure how good the motor would be after such a "fix"?   Any
> opinions

Sure, just about anything can be "fixed" and be as good or better than
new.  It's just a matter of what's damaged and if it's cost effective vs
  a replacement engine or head.

Crank main & rod bearings are replaceable.  Cylinders can be overbored
(requiring new pistons).  Valve guides are replaceable;  but cam
bearings are integral to the head.  You just need to tear down the whole
thing and use the right measuring and inspection tools to asses the
condition.

If there's heavy damage, like cylinders, you're probably money ahead to
use a different engine.

   -Wayne