Pulsating steering

Wayne wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 28 23:26:20 CDT 2007

Darren Calbero wrote:
> I was turning left or slowing down.  When I got home, I checked the car and found the following problems:  driver side tie rod end boot blown;  driver side ball joint boot blown;  passanger side outer CV boot blown;  boots on stearing rack torn.  I checked
Have you checked any of that stuff recently?  I can't imagine anything that would pop them all at once.  Probably been that way for a while??

> start before things began to happen.  My neighbor did a visual check as I drove by and said that the passenger side wheel seems to slightly toe in and out.  I
That sounds like a bent wheel rim, which could cause some of what you're describing.  You should lift the front and spin the wheels while using something to see if there is any run-out or "wobble" in the rim.  A dial indicator is ideal, but anything you can hold stationary to detect bends in the rim is ok.  You can also try swapping wheels front to back.

> switch is off anyway).  The pulsating seems to be coming from the right side which leeds me to believe that this a seriously failed CV joint.  I ordered a replacement half shaft through PartsAmerica/CSK and it should be arriving on the 31st.  Cheap I know but they do have a lifetime replacement warranty which means this is a free
The classic sign of a bad CV joint (besides the nastiest f***ng grease
of all time all over everything)  it a clicking sound or pulsation while
turning tightly, like when driving a tight circle in a parking lot.  I'm
not aware of CV joints getting bad suddenly either, but stranger things
have happened.

There's a good chance you need to get an alignment after the axle
replacement, esp if you do it by disconnecting the strut from the
knuckle.  So you might consider replacing those other things that would
also require an alignment (rack boots, tie rod, etc.)  Advance Auto has
them for not too much (I think they're the same as Parts America.)

  -Wayne    '06 RSX-S / '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata