ECU Hack for Knock Sensor

Jon Pennington cowboydren at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 19:15:21 CDT 2007

For over a year now, I've been putting up with a broken wire between
the knock sensor and the ECU.  The ECU goes to a sort of limp home
mode, pulls timing, and my car sucks to drive.  I always use 91-octane
fuel from Conoco (Top Tier rating by the EPA?), and I've never heard a
hint of knock or rattle, so it's clear that the sensor isn't saving me
from much harm anyway.  I think that if I were about to chip a piston,
it would have happened in the last 15 months of knowing that the code
was being tripped.

Last weekend, I finally pulled the ECU out, and reallizing that
repairing the harness was WAY out of my league, I just said Eff It and
wired a 1MOhm resistor between the KS pin and the case (ground).  It's
ugly, but I'm not going turbo or nitrous any time soon.

  http://picasaweb.google.com/CowboyDren/ECUHack

Here's hoping for more than the 21-24 MPG fuel economy I've been
getting lately...

--

Yeah, I rock the mic like a cuttlefish...