Crank Angle Sensor type question

mike kojima choaderboy2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 00:32:19 CDT 2007

It's an infared LED shining through a round plate
driven from the distributoer shaft with a whole bunch
of slots blanked into it. The slots allow the light to
pass though to a CDS cell with some sort of op amp to
create a wave signal for the ECU, its not a hall or VR
sensor at all, which work by inductance to create the
signal.

I would not simply trust any non OEM wideband to
activly manage anything near WOT based on the wide
scatter of readings I experianced with my test.  I
would at least verify the readings against a known
reference.

I was shocked and dismayed with the results of my test
and how differently the different meters worked.

You NEED a crank angle signal for any stand alone ECU
to work, I don't understand why you think its not
needed.

If you wanted to you can simply use the crank angle
signal generated by the distributor and use it to run
a DIS system.  Or a nicer looking althernative is to
use a S14/S15 DET crank angle sensor in lieu of a
distributor.

I would be careful of many aftermaket DIS conversion
ideas, most of them are waste spark systems that fire
the plugs with every revolution and have a short dwell
time to saturate the coil.  I have found these to be
prone to missfire, although its been 20 years since I
messed with the first primative electromotive systems.

I sort of worry about how much understanding you have
to work this stuff based on some of the questions you
are asking or perhaps it is me not understanding you
properly.