ECU talk (MegaSquirt vs. VEMS)

Kevin Hart bowlcut at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:55:08 CDT 2007

On 7/5/07, Frey, Richard K <rfrey at iupui.edu> wrote:

> My take on ecus?
>
> Daily driver that must run everyday, JWT.  At least until there is
> significant file sharing going on with the stand alones.
>
> All else, tune it yourself with some caveats.

Im running a Calumsult ECU in my NX.  Actually that NX was Calum's and
was the test mule for almost every design of board.  The NX has had a
Calumsult in it daily for 2 or 3 years now.  Its has had various
states of tunes in it and still pulled good numbers on the dyno.  The
tune Im running now is the basic DE tune with little to moderate bolt
ons.  It showed ~10hp up top and fattened the curve everywhere while
still in very very safe af ratios.

Everything around the car seems to be going bad....well actualy im
just fighting 16 year old rubber fuel lines mostly and the leaks they
have...  but the ECU is rock solid and will continue to be.  I dont
think a DD has to run a JWT.  A common bolt on car will benefit from
either ecu setup, and Calum's is just cheaper.  The tunes out there
that are being used are well vested in the community and has had no
problems.   So far every time over the last year of me owning the car
Ive never felt that if I jumped in the car it might go boom.  Its sit
for months on end, and fired up on the first crank.  Ive driven it 5-6
hours each way to my dad's without any problems and still getting
great fuel mileage.  Then I take it to the auto cross and run it
without any troubles.

Just my 2 cents...and opinion...as ive always said about opinions,
opinions are like ass holes everyone has one and they all stink.

-Kevin
91 NX (Stuff) Calumsult Test Mule
98 Altima SE (Stock)