ECU talk (MegaSquirt vs. VEMS)

Frey, Richard K rfrey at iupui.edu
Thu Jul 5 08:24:33 CDT 2007

It has been good to see activity on this list again.  I have learned so
much from just listening.  I have a mail box full of great info
including 'don't ask a shock to do the job of a spring'  King turd, and
'pig rich is great when tuning a forced induction motor' from
choaderboy.  Both of these statements pushed me over the edge in
thinking and I began to understand the processes involved.

Regarding tuning a turbo motor.

Fact - every tuner in the world at one time knew nothing about tuning.

Fact - there is no substitute for experience.  I wish I had the 'ear of
mike' when it came to dyno time and detonation.  Anyone have audio files
of dyno pulls with varying degrees of detonation?  Please send them my
way.

My take on ecus?

Daily driver that must run everyday, JWT.  At least until there is
significant file sharing going on with the stand alones.

All else, tune it yourself with some caveats.

	Please be conservative.

	Admit that you are learning and don't know much.

		I had to hit the forum to learn about calumslut or
whatever.  I 		now understand why some on the list were so
against self tuning.  		Some of the questions asked by people
ready to plunk down there 		cash were really scary, at least
from a piston's point of view.

	Use a reliable wide band sensor.  Maybe do one dyno pull with a
known 	calibrated o2 sensor and use data to verify or calibrate your
own 	sensor.

	Measure out your quarter mile on a safe road.  Here in IN budget
constraints have lead to no state police patrols on interstate between
4 am and 7 am. On sunday mornings.  ;) (That's 1 year old news, I need
to reverify with trooper buddy.)

It is not rocket science but indeed technical.  I wonder if Mike Kojima
could tune a DET to JWT levels of performance using only a 1/4 mile,
seat time and following behind in another car watching soot levels from
the exhaust.  What do you think, Mike?

Have fun!

rick frey