ECU talk (MegaSquirt vs. VEMS)

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de at e-rak.com
Tue Jul 3 17:07:05 CDT 2007

Ben Fenner wrote:

> anything the stock ECU doesn't support (obviously). This means no
> wideband 02 sensor input, no EGT sensor input, etc. This was the deal
> breaker for me.

Okay here is my last and final say on this.  Having built a turbo car,
owned one for the last 6 years and helping others go turbo with SR20's
and others, I would recommend a JWT to start with.  Goes along with the
philosophy I like to follow: KISS.

When you turbo you have many things that you are changing and have to
make sure are working.  If you are new to the turbo world that makes it
even worse.  Owning a turbo car is not liking owning an NA car.  NA cars
rarely have problems and when they do they are easy to troubleshoot.

Turbo cars you increase your trouble factor exponentially.  Slap a JWT
ECU in and know that's one less thing to worry about.  Done over with.
If it's not running right after you switch you know it's something with
your tuning not:

1.) Boost leak.
2.) Plugs, wires, etc.
3.) Ignition timing
4.) Fuel pressure
5.) Fuel pump.

I could go on forever.  If you decide to change later sell your JWT ECU
and recoup most if not all your money.

Snip:

> half the price of anything else out there (SDS, Haltech, F.A.S.T.
> BigStuff, AEM, Motec, etc.)

Don't forget to add into this your dyno tuning time.  Easily $75/hr.
I'm also a firm believer in you get what you pay for.  So don't go cheap
here.  AEM may be more expensive but you will have more support with it
then some of your other suggestions.

RK