ECU talk

Wayne wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 27 12:57:32 CDT 2007

Ben Fenner wrote:
> As an update, I'm waiting for a response from Calum as to the tuning
> process on his ECU. Does anyone know if he's managed to reverse engineer
> every part of the ECU, and now there's a software package one can use to

Calum has dis-assembled a good portion of the B13 ECU from what he told me.  Says it's complicated because it switches between both 8 and 16 bit instruction set.  I think for the most part, he is plugging constants into the various maps, but he can program things if needed.  There are some software packages out there as well.  From there, you dump it in hex and use the utility that came with your rom burner to make a pair of chips.

He uses a "romulator" -- a box that plugs into the rom sockets and talks to a laptop via USB or something, that allows changing the code & data on the fly.  But it is several hundred $$, and you need two of them with his setup.  I haven't read up on his new design, but it sounds like it has romulator functionality without the expense and hassle and loose cables.

Another cool thing about his ECUs is he can install an RS232 port, so you can use Consult style PC software with just a cable;  no interface box required.

   -Wayne    '06 RSX-S / '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata