Comments on: JGY and JWT Was: avoid JGY..

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 25 09:52:04 CDT 2007

At 09:51 AM 6/25/2007, Erik Halvorson wrote:
>One thing about opinions, they are like @$$holes...  everyone has
>one and not all are clean.

I understand what you're saying.  And my hygine is impeccable, thanks  ;)

>JGY - have bought a few ..... dealt with very professionally ...  I
>would purchase form him again.

JGY *used* to [past tense] be a good operation.  He used to be
subscribed here (since the early days, IIRC),  and had a "vendor
support forum" at sr20forum.  That was then.  This is now.  The
support forum is gone.  He and his employees are shitty on the
phone.  And he's fucked more than a couple people over.

>JWT ECU - I had my ECU tuned by Clark when I DET'd my Classic.  45k
>miles of trouble free service.  I did not have the facilities to
>tune an open source system

I didn't intend to say anything negative about JWT.  His products are
well developed and top notch.  My only gripe is the pricing.  $600
for a computer for a $13k car?!  I hoped the price would drop over
the years, but it hasn't.  At least it didn't go up.

Years ago (1995-ish or earlier), every one was like "the JWT ECU
rocks, you HAVE to get one."   I never bought a new one, and was very
happy just bumping my timing.  In fact, I pretty much introduced the
whole DIY timing thing. Calum has since disassembled the entire stock
& JWT programs.  This is hard to appreciate if you've never hacked
assembler or machine code (I wrote a version of "breakout" on the
Apple II @ high school in just under 2K of raw 6502 hex back in '82,
but I digress) ... anyway, Calum says the $600 B13 ECU "tune" changes
the timing in all of four (??!!) cells in the timing map.  Whoopde
Doo!  I feel like I got ripped off even on the used JWTs I bought for <= $300.

I really don't want to say a single thing bad about JWT, except I
think he's been using his monopoly status on the ECU to command some
rather high pricing over the years.  The monopoly is no more.  If
you've ever looked at the PCB in the ECU, it's pretty damn obvious
someone at Nissan intended to wire a 27000 series EPROM onto the
thing.  Calum makes it easy to do so, and with that you can have any
of his or many other programs from around the world flashed onto
it.  Or with the new thingy, tweak it on the fly.  Competition is good!

    -Wayne  '06 RSX-S / 93 SE-R / 93 NK2k / 90 Miata / '07 Scion tC