ECU talk

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Mon Jun 25 01:46:34 CDT 2007

I didn't know that I'd start this sort of disscusion. I'm sorry about that.

I realize that JWT does great work, and Jim was my first choice, and up
until recently, the only choice I considered. The reason I'm leaning
towards a tunable ECU has little to do with any normal situation. I want
to learn more. I want to tune myself. I have friends who've done it, and
I'm not affraid to jump head first into it. Also, the idea of re-wiring
my engine bay, or building a wiring harness from scratch is not a
deterent. I can do wiring in my sleep.

My friend with the e30 will need a tunable ECU (VEMS most likely). We're
going to learn this together, and that's the number one reason for my
considering a tunable ECU. If this worn't the case, and I weren't so
eager to learn, I'd go with JWT in a second.

There is also the issue of downtime. Apparently Calum has a better
turnaround time than JWT. On top of that, I can put the Calum ECU in my
N/A sentra, and learn it with my current engine. Then when the turbo
goes in, I'll have already solved the ECU problem. And lastly, if I
decide my transmission can handle more power, or for what ever reason I
want to do more power upgrades, I'll be in a better situation being able
to do things myself.

Maybe I'm just naive, but it seems I'm being told that engine tuning is
considered too lofty of a goal for normal car guys. I don't understand
this thinking, as I was able to grasp the concept of all of the engine
parameters, and how they all work together, resulting in a smooth,
reliably operating engine pretty quickly once I took the time to ask.
How hard can it be to keep a/f ratios within spec, EGTs in check, and
knock at bay? =]

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R (going turbo)
1994 Black SE-R (with sunroof)