Tire Choice

James McColl sp_250 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 04:57:33 CDT 2007

Once upon a time (tm), Scarpulla wrote:

>What? 'splain me.

My main driver, Bob Armstrong, who competes with a 300+ whp GTi-R NX2000
race car, and is multiple Ontario GT Champion, is an Advanced Driving
Instructor for Audi and BMW, and he's also been racing for 33 years or so.
When I got the chance to go to a school that he was instructing, having him
sitting next to me, I jumped at it.

As a bonus, Jennifer and Cindy, who race #44, the normally aspriated NX2000
on the team, are going to be flagging there.  And so they'll have the race
trailer there too, so if I break anything, I'm set.  It will be great to
catch up with them too!

Link to the MCO April 28-29 Shannonville school here:

http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=89

Then the very next day, April 30, I saw there was a lapping day at the new
Calabogie track, and it's AWESOME.  It's one of Bob's favourite tracks in
North America.  When I had a chance at that, I jumped at that one too.

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=195062

I decided to bring the Azenis from the wheels you sold me as spares, instead
of my primary dry tires, and pick up some R-compounds for the TE-37s for
these three days.  I think I'll need them.  I have the SE-R wheels for my
rain tires.

Also got a nice new race suit, Nismo LSD, newly rebuilt tranny, splitter
from Greg Amy, big holes cut in the front of the car for cooling, etc. etc.

Since I dropped that SR20DET into the NX, it's been great on the street,
overheated on the track.  Hopefully these tweaks will address the
overheating and other problems I've had.

Got this email, sent to the Canadian SE-R List from my race team buddy Dave,
who has been on the Calabogie track:

Probably the most difficult, technical track you will ever drive on. Bring
extra rotors and brake pads!!!!!!

So even though I've got new Carbotech XP8 pads and Brembo front rotors, I'm
bringing an extra set of each.  I think I'm ready (almost).

I'll post pics from the events to the list, if there's interest!

James