An SE-R Idle Story

Ron A atteber1 at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 31 08:03:13 CDT 2007

I just thought I'd share.

My 92 Classic was getting worse about the engine dying when I'd come to
a stop. It was especially bad if I was pulling forward: slightly
accelerate, then stop. Sudden closed throttle. One day, it wouldn't idle
at all, making it a challenge to get home.

I had some spare parts, so I replaced the original throttle position
sensor with 265k miles and cleaned the throttle body. No dice. Then I
spent a hellish hour and a half taking the IAC off, cleaning it, then
reinstalling it. Nada. I had already replaced the fuel filter and
cleaned the MAF connector which was no help.

It's funny how seemingly insignificant things can get you and they
aren't necessarily in the manual. In talking to Milburn Emory, he
suggested that I check the MAF ground, not the extra wire that was added
for the wire that breaks. When I started to loosen the bolt on the
intake manifold, the screw wasn't actually tight. I took the bolt out,
replaced the end of the added MAF wire which was a too-small u-shaped
terminal with the ends splayed out to get around the bolt with a bigger
ring terminal. After cleaning the bolt and the surfaces, it idled great!
It's the best it has been in a couple of years.

Seeing how important a well grounded engine is, I'm getting a grounding kit.

I hope this helps someone.

Ron Atteberry
92 Classic with 95 transmission that fixed my destroyed clutch problems.
(bent input shafts? two 92 transmissions)