rod bearings and checking the journals

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 29 07:14:34 CDT 2007

With spring and decent weather comes time for car maintenance again, and my
SE-R is at the top of the list. First thing it needs is new rod bearings,
which, at 230k, have started to get a little noisy when cold, and an
analysis of my last oil change confirmed it. I've been babying it, and have
barely driven it since August or September.

Given the mileage (unlike replacing bearings on a "new" imported engine
from Soko, say, where you are doing it for due diligence) I am not sure I
can take for granted that I can just replace the bearings with the same
grades. So I am assuming I will want to measure the journals.....but with
what? My memory of the amount of space involved tells me I can't fit a mike
in there. Is plastigauge any good under the circumstances? If the journal
surfaces look good am I likely to be OK with putting in new bearings of the
same grade?

Also, are any of the old-timey folk here going to the convention this year?
Just curious.

thanks,
David