my dad's 200SX - beyond my fixing

davidpertuz at mindspring.com davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 28 14:23:12 CST 2006

I got under the front end today to give it a closer inspection for further damage and found that the damage to the trans case
is not just a little chunk eaten out by the block - both parts of the case are cracked. I see some oilish residue on the LH inner
axle boot that seems to have comefromthe back side of the case, but I don't know what it is. It looks milky, but is nowhere
near the engine, the engine oil looks good, and the engine ran fine the last time I ran the car. I'm going to put it on stands
and get deeper under it tomorrow.

This means that it is beyond my ability to fix - putting a new trans in it is too time-consuming and way too difficult given that
I live 750 miles from where the car is and it has already been in my mom's garage for a year. With the existing bits plus the
trans, it would probably take about $1k to fix everything it needs (straighten wheel, new tire, windshield, airbag, SAS, airbag
sensor, new axle boots, replace the soft front shocks with decent ones) and make it good to drive again. This means that I
will probably be filing an insurance claim and totalling it. I am going to keep the JWT ECU, POP charger and the Stillen STB.
The header is not worth removing, as it has a large crack.

Before I do total it, I thought I'd ask the list to see if there is anyone who might want it as is. I know, I already did this but I
know more about the car now. Not sure what State Farm will give (worth maybe $3500 normally? minus $1000 deductible) but it
is an otherwise pretty good and clean car, and seems a shame to total it. The car is located in Atlanta, GA.

David