OT: B-class cars (Versa, Fit)

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 16 03:04:52 CST 2006

I had the opportunity to drive a Honda Fit for a couple of days this week.
If I were to buy a new car and didn't want to spend the money for, say, a
Mazda 3, this is probably what I'd get. It is such a fun little roller
skate and reminds me somewhat of my SE-R when it was new, as it has a lot
of spirit and is great to drive. It's certainly not fast (another 15-20bhp
wouldn't hurt) but is fast enough. The car I drove was an automatic
(Sport), and while I would always prefer a manual, the paddle shifters were
enjoyable to use and the calibration was good, and shifts were fast. The
packaging is excellent and the two-way rear seat is fantastic. I could not
quite find a really good driving position, but I have this problem in every
car that doesn't have a telescoping column.

I drove a Versa a couple of months or so ago and found it very impressive
in terms of standard equipment and the materials used in the interior, but
it didn't seem to have much personality and was not at all sporty. If
nothing else, it was very surprising to find things like keyless ignition
and door locks on such a cheap car, and the materials were excellent for
the class. It also had tons of room in there. Dynamically....ehhh. I don't
like the CVT any more than all the other 4 cyl. CVTs I've driven - I'll
grant that the manual would be more fun. It was well-built, though it had a
really annoying aspiration from the driver's pie-slice window.

Between the two, I find the Fit to be head and shoulders above the Versa.
The dynamics of the Fit were what sold it. Steering and turn-in response is
really lively and agility is terrific. Minus the engine it reminds me much
more of a B13 SE-R than anything in the next size up that I've driven.

Next there is a Mercedes B200 that looks interesting.....

David