Steering Rack Friction Adjustment

wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 12 09:28:15 CST 2006

Anyone messed with adjusting a B13 steering rack for friction?

I got our NX running again after breaking the clutch way back in
May.  And the steering is so loose, it's silly.  I almost find it
hard to believe it was that loose when I was last driving it, but
nothing has changed, so I guess I'd just gotten used to it.  It feels
like a friggin' Buick or one of those other vehicles Car&Driver
bitches about having "grossly over-boosted steering"

It has new struts, E.S. poly control-arm bushings, new ball joints
and tie rod ends, so I don't think those are the problem ;)

There are some sketchy instructions in the FSM for adjustment, and a
TSB that recommends tightening some arbitrary amount (turn the bolt
50 degrees).  But I don't recall anyone here talking about adjustment.

Any input?  Thanks Y'all!

    -Wayne  '06 RSX-S / 93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata