Changing front seal with engine still in car?

wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 11 14:28:41 CST 2006

At 02:59 PM 11/11/2006, Hammer Down wrote:
>The front seal is PISSING oil out and making a royal mess out of the
>engine bay and the garage floor.  Has anyone dropped the passenger
>side of the engine low enough to get the main pulley out and change
>the seal?  What ther items did you have to take off

I have not done one, but i need to on the '93.  It's pretty common
for them to leak, but once they get bad, be careful!!!  They can get
MUCH WORSE in very short time (ie: and cause engine damaging low oil levels!!)

A lot of guys have installed the U.R. pulleys over the years, and
from that it sounds like it's not that tough to get to the
thing.  See write ups at:
http://www.se-r.net/engine/unorthodox_pulleys/index.html
http://www.se-r.net/engine/unorthodox_pulleys2/index.html

I have replaced all the belts (which obviously have to come loose for
this) on a B13 SR20 and can tell you the power steering adjuster is a
BITCH to get at, esp on an ABS equipped car.  Probably doesn't need
to be said, but you might as well replace all the belts while you're at it.

    -Wayne  '06 RSX-S / 93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata