Lower "A" arm bushing removal.

Humberto Gonzalez hgonzalez7 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 8 18:20:04 CST 2006

Brian,

I've replaced ball joints and installed urethane bushings for myself and
couple of times for fellow SE-R owners. The ball joint will pop out easily
with a solid blow from a mallet, once you remove the c-clip.  You can use a
large socket (32mm) and mallet to press/bang in the new ones.  Sounds harsh,
I know, but the socket will only place pressure on the outer edges of the
ball joint and not the vulnerable center area.  The bushings and engine
mounts will both come out easily using a torch.  It's not the most
environmentally safe way to do it, but torching them off has always worked
for me.  The key is getting the metal hot enough so that the adhesive that
binds the inner metal sleeve melts.  With the A-arms, you'll need to make
yourself a tool to press out the metal sleeve.  Here's a couple of links to
with information and images about the tool.

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=42089&highlight=bushing
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=15674&highlight=bushings

Humberto
aztecred92