Mazdaspeed 3

Steve Hirsch shirsch at ptc.com
Fri Oct 27 14:18:52 CDT 2006

Things have really changed in the last 5 years.  The 2002 WRX was a
pretty quick car when it came here in 01, despite the turbo lag and
anemic off-boost performance.  But by today's standards, yeah your
average Camry/Accord can keep up w/ one from a roll.  But the car really
does wake up w/ an ECU reprogram and turbo-back exhaust.

As for the 5 spd tranny, this comes up in Subaru forums all the time.
There are ppl running 300+ WHP who've gone 100kmi w/ no problems and
there are ppl who've broken gears within the warranty period at stock
power levels.  It all depends on how abusively you drive (ie dont try to
spin 4 wheels on dry pavement).  But everyone generally agrees that the
syncros suck and the ratios are too widely spaced which doesnt help the
syncros one bit...

-steve
04 WRX, "Stage 2" (ECU + TBE)
93 SE-R, 215 kmi, still runs great.