do you miss your car

Hammer Down hammer_down at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 25 13:52:28 CDT 2006

It is all personal opinion I know but I like my wife's 2005 Altima.  Not as
a sports sedan but for the "drive it 3200 miles in one week long trip and
not hate it" aspect.  Seats are comfortable and yet supportive, interior is
nicely laid out for a big car and the egnines 255 hp is enough to keep
things interesting.  The three kids had plenty of room in the back seat
without freaking out (did most of the driving at night and sight-seeing
during the day.  Interior has held up well, as has the rest of the car.  38k
on the clock and counting.  We have the 3.5 SL version with everything
except navigation.  Nice car.  No, again, it isn't a sports sedan but it
cruises right along just nicely, thank you and seems to have a personality
that the Accord and Camry lack.  17x8 wheels and better performance oriented
tires have helped to eliminate some of the whallowing the car tended to
do.....  Stock wheels now hold the winter tires.  Back on the topic, I do
miss my det'ed SE-R classic.  It was that tossable fun aspect that recently
made me not want to sell the NX2k (saved from the crusher) until I scored on
the GTS-t.  It is hard to find a car that I wanted over the Skyline once I
had a chance to drive all of the real world cars on my "want list" and the
"cost factor" was thrown into the equation.  I think if money was less of a
factor and if the Skyline was more of a comon car, then I would have
probably selelcted the Evo.  It was the "scalpel" of all the cars.  A
precision instument that begged to be used and flogged and it did exactly
what you asked of it.  The G35 was nice but more of a GT than a precision
driving tool like the Evo.  Even the newer M3's left me unsatisfied in
comparison to the Evo.  The WRX-STi still felt like a FWD car on tight
manuevers.  Anyway, I love the Skyline.  It has it's own set of quicks,
mainly the "17 year old car blues" but I can live with that.  As far as
Nissan's newer products I think they are going a little too mainstream and
forgetting the hardcore edge they offered in versions like the original SER
and the 300ZX-TT.  The Azeal Concept car would be a cool car if it had the
performance (power, handling, braking etc) that was promised but the Versa
version we have in the show rooms is more than just a dissapointment.  It is
like Nissan is trying to become more like Toyota, whom figured out how to
make a better Buick and be profitable doing it....   I don't want a Buick
and if that is all they have to offer, I will take my purchasing power else
where.  The 2-door version of the Altima is weird to me.  Is the coupe
version of the Accord and then the Solara selling that well that Nissan sees
fit to jump on the band wagon?  It was mentioned earlier but how about an
affordable RWD and/or AWD platform that is performance oriented and yet
understanded for the enthusiast with 2 or 3 kids....  The 350Z is cool but I
can't cram my 3 kids int he back seat.......  it doens't have a back seat...

Take care!
Erik Halvorson