Tick, Tick Tick, I think it is a rod bearing.

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Mon Jul 31 21:33:23 CDT 2006

> If the bearing material hasn't been worn
> through and the crank and rod surfaces look good, can I just replace the
> bearings?  Can I drop the cross-member and pan and do it witht he engine

If the bearings haven't worn through, then you should just be able to
replace them. The problem is, I don't think you'd be hearing this noise
if the bearings were still there.

Yes, you can change the rod bearings from underneith the engine. You'll
have to remove the lead exhaust pipe, but not the cross-member.

Before replacing my second engine with my third, I did four bearing
replacements within the span of a month trying (stupidly) to revive it.
Who knew you couldn't resurface a rod journal with sandpaper? *shrug*

There are two tiny bolts holding the upper oil pan to the block by the
transmission. They are the only non-obvious part. That, and if you've
never looked for the codes on the crank-shaft to see which size/grade of
bearing to purchase, they can be hard to find. I almost gave up when
looking for mine. THey were so obvious once I found them though.

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R