Water vs Alcohol injection.

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Thu Jun 15 22:05:17 CDT 2006

I'm finally getting around to asking about something I've been wondering
about for a long time. How come the Nissan community has embraced water
injection as the de-facto knock deterant? I've noticed the turbo Dodge,
and Buick Grand National/turbo Trans Am crowd seem to prefer alcohol
injection for this. As far as I can tell, alcohol injection has water
injection beat. It cools the intake charge just like water, but also is
106+ octane, and burns as a fuel, instead of passing through the system
passively. I know I'm simplifying the chemistry, but there are alcohol
kits out there, and alcohol is cheap enough. Why the water?
I'm planning on using alcohol, could someone school me otherwise?

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R